Saturday, June 15, 2013

Stuffing Casserole

This week, I decide to challenge myself by making at least three meals with one chicken.  It's not that we are low on chickens, in fact, while I was on vacation, darling husband butchered 23 chickens and we put them in the freezer for this winter.  It is just fun to see how many different meals can be made with one chicken.  I have done this in the past, but one of the meals I made from the chicken was soup.  Since it is getting really hot in this part of the country, soup really isn't something we are interested in right now.  However, crock pot meals are something that does sound appealing.  So yesterday morning, I put a whole chicken in my large crock pot to bake for the day.  There are many different recipes online describing how to bake a chicken in the crock pot, so I'm not going to go into details about that.

The meal that I made for today's lunch was a recipe that was passed on to me by my mother-in-law.  Darling husband loves this meal, I think of it as more of a wintertime type meal, but he requested it for lunch, so stuffing casserole was what we had.  It is usually prepared in the oven, but I don't think I could have stood baking with the humidity as high as it was today.  Please forgive the photo, for as good as it tastes, casseroles are hard make look good in a photo.

Stuffing Casserole

2 boxes Stove Top or store brand stuffing mix
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 lb Velveeta cheese
2 cups of chicken
1 to 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth

Mix all of the ingredients together until well moistened.  Spray crock with non-stick cooking spray, I would not recommend a crock pot liner for this.  Pour the stuffing mixture into the crock and spread evenly.  Put on medium or high heat.  Prop the lid of the crock pot open to allow steam to escape.  Cook for 4 to 6 hours (depending on your crock pot temperature).





No comments:

Post a Comment