Sunday, June 23, 2013

Chicken Enchilada Casserole


The second day of my chicken challenge made me think about a recipe I found several years ago on Allrecipes.  Of course, as usual, I didn't want to use the oven, I wanted to convert it to a crock pot recipe.  And I didn't want to stand and roll the enchiladas, so I decided to make a layered casserole.  

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
1 (10 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cup chopped cooked chicken
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 - 12 inch flour torillas
1/4 cup of milk

1.  Lightly grease your crock with nonstick cooking spray.
2.  In a mixing bowl, mix together the garlic powder, chopped green chilies, cream of chicken soup and sour cream.  Set aside 3/4 of the sauce.  Combine the chicken and 1/2 the cheese with the rest of the sauce.
3.  Place one torilla on the bottom of your crock.  Layer on the chicken/sauce combo.  Continue layering until you use all of your torillas and sauces.  
4.  Mix the milk with the reserved sauce then pour over the layered torillas.  
5.  Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours with the lid of the crock open to allow the steam to escape.
6.  During the last 30 minutes of cooking, use the remaining cheese to cover the casserole.

Adapted from Allrecipes.com


No comments:

Post a Comment