Sunday, July 27, 2014

Easy Ratatouille

The garden is going crazy, so now's the time for vegetable based main dishes. I am writing this as I made it, however, if or when I make it again, I'm going to do something to thicken the tomato sauce since I served it over hot noodles and I will allow a little more time for cooking the vegetables because DH doesn't like his warm veggies to have a "crunch" when he bites into them, me I don't care.

Easy Ratatouille 


Ingredients 

2 tablespoons oil
1 small onion, peeled and diced (1/2 in.)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 28 oz can whole tomatoes, crushed
8 ounces Asian eggplant, rinsed and diced (3/4 in.)
About 1/2 teaspoon salt
About 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 medium red, yellow, orange, and/or green bell peppers, rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and diced (1/2 in.) 8 ounces zucchini, rinsed, ends trimmed, and diced (1/2 in.)
8 ounces yellow summer squash, rinsed, ends trimmed, and diced (1/2 in.)
 1 tablespoon dried basil

Instructions


1. In a 12-inch frying pan with sides at least 2 inches tall, or a 5- to 6-quart pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and stir frequently until onion is limp, about 5 minutes. 2. Add tomatoes (with juice), eggplant, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 cup water, and 1 tablespoon dried basil and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is soft when pierced, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in bell peppers, zucchini, and yellow squash. Return to a simmer, cover, and cook until squash is tender when pierced, 8 to 10 minutes longer.
Serve over hot noodles of your choice and top with italian blend of cheeses.

Adapted from: My Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment